Sunday 3 December 2006

New beginnings...


New allotment & new blog! Onwards & upwards. ...It's a bit different from the last plot & feels like a different shape! It's 10 perches and on more of a slope than the last one. The soil is also different - much more clay than the other so that will present a challenge in itself!
I met with the secretary, looked at every avail plot & then went for the first one (typical woman eh!!). So the plan is as follows at this stage...steal the greenhouse from next door...no only joking..OK sort of joking..yet again I have plot, shed & land envy!
OK being serious now...where pile of bricks is there is actually a large "hole" - one of the reasons I chose the plot as this will become a parking space as parking is, as always with allotments, at a premium and one of the reasons for a large plot is to have sufficient space for my plans! The width of the plot is just past the bricks to the left & to the fence (with beautiful things next door!). I plan the one side will be veg & the other flowers. Which to be which is yet to be decided!!
I had a drive round the plot and feel I made the right choice to move. Had my first pee on the compostable loo! Slightly bizarre as there is a breeze from below so you almost get air dried while you're there! Boys have to use a urinal & its right on the left as you go in so the almost automatic instinct is to hang your bag on it which I know I mustn't!! Yuck! The loo doesn't smell at all (honest!) and there is a large bucket of sawdust for you to put a handful in when you've done. V. cleaver really although not sure I'll volunteer for cleaning duty...although may as its quite fascinating in a gross kind of way!
The site is huge & right next to a nature reserve so I hope to borrow some frog spawn after I've built the pond. Traffic at the top is noisy as it runs by the main dual carriageway so am thankful I got my plot below where its quieter. All I need to do now is move & start again! On remembrance Sunday I stood, fork in hand & dug & stopped along with many for silence & reflection. As I stood looking at a lovely view, with birds singing and a sense of peace I know I've done the right thing.

No comments: